Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day 30: All Good Things...

So begins the final entry in the blog, as I lie in my cabin with less than 24 hours to go before I'm back home in Worthing. I'm guessing that once I'm all unpacked I am unlikely to be in the mood for blogging! It will feel very strange not having something new to see everyday, and I expect there will seem to be somewhat of a gap in my life, as even before the trip started it took up a fair bit of my time. I guess that's why I'm keen to start planning something new, although I doubt it will be anything quite so adventurous! Still, I always know that if I really want to, I can do it. As much as I have noticed the aspects of the Queen Mary 2 that are less appealing this time around (mostly the entertainment, but also the average age of passengers which influences what activities are available), I can definitely say that I will also miss having all the free time that I have enjoyed this week!

This blog has served a number of purposes for the trip. Firstly, it's been a good way to let everyone know how I'm getting on, in more words that you can fit on a postcard (yes, sorry everyone but you wont be getting one of those!). Secondly, it's been a good way to record the trip, and I will be able to look back on this in the future and remember the fantastic experiences I have had. And finally, it has been quite an enjoyable pastime for me, and it's actually reminded me that I quite enjoy writing. I expect I will try to keep a more general blog in future - certainly not a daily one, as this trip has been exceptional in giving me plenty to write about everyday - and maybe even think about another way to put my writing interests to use. Hopefully you have enjoyed reading this collection of thoughts and experiences. Otherwise, you have to wonder what you're still doing here!

At the beginning of this trip, I expected that it would prove to be a life-changing, inspirational experience for me, which would teach me something both about myself and where I was going (in the literal sense of learning about the US rather than some deeper philosophical notion of the direction my life is taking!). I think it has largely fit that bill, although it seems that any travelling experience is deeply personal, so “life changing” means something completely different to each person. I know from seeing some DVDs of these kind of journeys (e.g. Darius Goes West), people finish the journey with a new sense of purpose and determination. For me, I think I already had this, all this trip has done in that respect has affirmed what I always thought to be true, which is just what you can do if you put your mind to it. What this trip has done for me is remind me of how important it is to continue to have as many new experiences as possible, something I will try all the harder to achieve in future. I also thought this trip would be a father-son bonding experience, which it has been, but not in a clichéd Hollywood movie style - my Dad and I are still the same people as we always were, and still probably disagree in the same ways we have always disagreed, but we have shared experiences, we probably understand each other and get along a little better, and I know that I appreciate my Dad more for everything he has done (that's not to say I didn't appreciate him before of course!).

Having now finished with all the formal nights of the trip, all that remains is the “elegantly casual” Last Supper - and with just one other dining companion it's a lot less exciting as I had hoped! Tomorrow morning we dock at Southampton alongside Queen Mary 2’s sister ship Queen Victoria. After that, the short ride home and then that's it, the trip is over. I will probably add some photos to this blog on my return, mainly for my record, although perhaps you might like to come back and look at them to give some substance to what I've been writing!

On a final note, I'd just like to say thanks once again for reading, I've tried to give an honest yet upbeat portrayal of the trip, and it has truly been a wonderful, enriching experience for me, one which I will hopefully look back on fondly for many years to come. It's been emotional!

No comments:

Post a Comment