Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Day 23: The Final Day, and All That Jazz!


After the late-night of the previous day, day 23 did not begin particularly early, but once I was up I decided to look for Broadway tickets online, to see if we could catch another show before we left, and make up for the disappointing experience with Phantom of the Opera. The first show we tried was West Side Story, but having no luck we managed instead to get tickets at the last minute for a matinee performance of Chicago. Having heard many positive comments about this, I was quite excited, and also amazed that we could get accessible tickets so close to when the show was about to start.

The 40 minute walk from our hotel to Times Square has by now become quite familiar, with its broken streets and huge potholes, and I’ve actually quite enjoyed being able to walk right into the centre of everything. Mind you, in this heat the sight of our hotel at the end of these walks has often been a huge relief! Anyway, we made this walk for the last time, and I tried desperately to imprint into my memory the amazing sensation of being a part of such a vibrant city. I have to say, in the last day I felt painfully aware of our impending departure, and every experience has been savoured.

The performance of Chicago was really good and completely new to me as I had never seen the show or the film. I really liked the fact that it was not just another nice, heartwarming tale, and it was very funny in parts. Although I wouldn't say it made a particularly deep and meaningful critique of fame and the media, it certainly has a message behind it beyond just shallow escapism. There are some very good songs as well, and I was quite impressed with the cast, who I found very entertaining, particularly “Mr Cellophane”. My Dad also seemed to enjoy it, and it made me very glad that I made the spontaneous decision to see a second show on the trip. After the show we decided to eat at TGI Friday's on Times Square, which was pretty rubbish both in terms of the food and service! I've eaten at quite a number of TGI Friday's in the UK, and have never been disappointed, but all I can think of is that on Times Square with the sheer number of people in and out each day, they are not too worried about repeat custom!

While I would love to say that I spent the last night in New York up all night partying, in reality the necessity was that we had to finish packing up and prepare for the departure the next day. So nothing very exciting, and if anything a little sad to think that my trip is coming to its conclusion. I have to confess that I actually opened the window this last evening in New York, simply to hear the noise of the city that I have loved being a part of, if only for this brief time. Amazing also to think that this city has been loved by and an inspiration to many people before me, and probably many after. Unfortunately, the thought of there still being a week on the Queen Mary 2 is not as much consolation as perhaps it should be, as I feel I know what it will be like, and that it does not begin to compare with how much fun I have had in the States. However, I remain open to being proved wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment