Monday, May 17, 2010

Day 2: Living It up with the Oldies


So what kinds of people choose a transatlantic cruise? For me, it’s the only truly accessible option to get to the states, at least until the airlines can take wheelchairs in the cabin. Not that I’m complaining, this is a fantastic way to travel, relaxing yet interesting, with a whole range of activities and plenty of opportunities to chat to your fellow passengers. But back to the question, the one thing I can say is that most passengers are older, retired, and primarily couples. Jan (my PA) and I can definitely vouch for that, after turning up to the 18 to 30 get-together to find nobody else there! Apparently, there are 25 people on the ships manifest aged 18 to 30 (out of a total 2500 passengers), but I guess we were the only ones feeling sociable!

Each evening on board we have the daily program of events for the next day delivered, allowing us to plan in advance when I need to get my bum out of bed! Day two started with a visit to the planetarium, for a typically cheesy, Americanised presentation of space photography including images from the Mars probes. Nice pictures, but it began to get a bit silly in points “ could you imagine an elephant if you'd never seen one before?” - truly thought-provoking stuff! The planetarium also doubles up as a cinema, and was where we came back to see crazy heart before dinner. A really great film - definitely worth the Oscar.

Last night saw the first formal evening, with a tuxedo or dark suit the minimum standard of evening wear. Which meant I had to break out the only tux I've ever worn, which has become a bit of family heirloom as it was passed from my Dad, to my brother, and finally on to me. My father, who is joining me on the whole trip, had to buy another one a long time ago to account for his, err... middle age spread! So it was a very smart affair, and finally we actually looked the part for the luxury Queen Grill restaurant! The evening was particularly civilised, with dinner, followed by a piano recital in the lounge. And then, after quite enough poshing it up, it was down the pub for another pub quiz!

2 comments:

  1. Top stuff Jon. Loving the blog an sounds like a top trip so far. And make sure you respect the history of that dinner suit - I was wearing it the night I met Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your nephew's going to need that dinner suit too so look after it!

    ReplyDelete